Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer Post #2: Killing Mockingbirds

Yeah. My reference to "To Kill A Mockingbird" is a bit drastic, and is getting old really fast, I'm sure, but I need to write more fully about this.

BUT FIRST, Small Matters.
--I forgot a goal yesterday, I need at least 3 more girls for the softball team thing.
--I actually have something to write about today, yay me.
--Since when do I feel so opinionated?

OK, ON TO THE STORY
Yeah, I know it's late, and I probably won't finish this post by midnight, so fail-a-palooza for me.
So, Please excuse any poor grammar, spelling mistakes, etc. I'm tired. But I'll try.

For the first time in a while, I am writing for a purpose other than to say what I've done today.

I read an artice on ESPN online (yeah, I don't even read ESPN mag, I was thrown towards the article by someone I hold respect for.) http://tinyurl.com/nxy6rl <---- Yeah, there it is.

Basically, this guy, Eric Frimpong, has been convicted of raping some girl. I think the evidence in this case sucks, and that there is no way that this guy is, as we say, "Guilty beyond reasonable doubt." What ever happened to "Innocent Until Proven Guilty"? Regardless if Eric actually is guilty, there is nowhere near enough evidence to have him thrown in jail for 6 years. The victim had a BAC of somewhere between .29 and .34, and had lapses of memory. There was no DNA evidence from Eric on the victim, and the entire thing seemed a bit fishy to me. Not to play the racisim card, but he's an immigrant from Ghana, here to play soccer. He has little monetary resources, and his jury of peers was 9 white women and 3 white men.

This thing seems a bit old, but I just learned about it, and there'll be an artice in the next issue of ESPN mag, so I thought I'd share.

Yeah, I'll be researching this a lot more and trying to follow it, but another question:"Why the hell have I not heard about this until today?" Doesn't it need a little more coverage?

Well, I'll wrap this up here. I don't care if he really is guilty or not (well, I guess I do, but...) he deserves a fair trial, which I don't think took place here.

No comments: